Sunday, August 20, 2006

By The Way, Indonesia?

I'd like to point out to the cracker-nibbling, clueless-how-to-celebrate-
Independence-Day nation of Indonesia, that the above picture shows a jubilant, ketchup-smeared Mr. Don Drenski shortly after he won the "bobbing for burgers" contest yesterday at the National Hamburger Festival in Akron, Ohio. I'd also like to point out that: a) this is what a real food-eating competition is supposed to look like and it wasn't even Independence Day in Akron; b) the burgers that contestants were bobbing for were plastic; and c) this picture absolutely makes me sick to my stomach. So come on, Indonesia -- if you start now, you can make your 62nd anniversary of independence from Dutch colonial rule something memorable.

4 comments:

Patung said...

The celebration I went to, near my house, had a fishing-for-plastic-fish game, which you had to pay for, some long and boring speeches, and happily at the end a dangdut music band, no eating contests though.

Mimi said...

What do you have against Indonesia, anyway? Let them alone with their cracker-eating contests--at least they're not engaged in international murder.

Bill Diamond said...

Happy Independence Day, Patung! I had no idea there was such a thing as "dangdut" music until you just mentioned it and I Wikipedia'd it.

Bill Diamond said...

Sorry, Mimi -- I guess I just get upset at what I consider to be sub-par eating contests.