Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Things That Need To Be Fixed #2

The space shuttle landed at 5 o'clock this morning and caused a couple of sonic booms. I guess that means that the thing was travelling faster than the speed of sound and that sound waves given off by the spacecraft couldn't get ahead of it and so they collected in a cone behind the thing and ultimately that's what caused the booms. But I don't really care because it woke me up and I still had a lot of sleeping left to do. Anyway, after I changed the soiled bedsheets, I turned on CNN and heard Miles O'Brien say something like when a space shuttle reenters the Earth's atmosphere you hear a couple of blasts in quick succession and then he went on to say it's "what's you want to hear" because it means reentry has been successful. Well, I consider myself very pro-astronaut or at least as pro-astronaut as you can be before it gets weird but I didn't "want to hear" it at 5 o'clock in the morning. Here's an idea: maybe next time, I'll go cover the shuttle landing for CNN and Miles O'Brien can sleep in my bed and see how much he "wants to hear" it at 5 in the morning. That's screwed up and I think that needs to be fixed.

No comments: